Monday, November 30, 2009

Spuds

I just cannot begin to tell you about the love of a good auld spud us Irish have. Now you may think that this is stereotypical, but boy is it true - we are all simply stone mad for the potato over on the Green Isle. Chipped, fried, baked, roasted, steamed, whipped, mashed, chopped, grated, sliced, cubed, boiled, caked … we love 'em any which way we can get 'em. The more we can get, the more we will eat! They are served with lasagne, spaghetti, salad and more… and the add-ons are just limitless. Kerry Gold Irish Butter with a pinch of salt are the favourite local toppings, but as we all know the Americans love their sour cream, chives and bacon bits on top.


Being such a staple of the Irish diet for so many past generations, it is no surprise that our country fell to pieces many years ago during what was called the 'potato famine.' This historical tragedy is actually what led to the mass emigration to the US.


As a kid growing up in Ireland, I somehow managed to hate every single type of vegetable on earth. I refused profusely to eat anything even remotely plant related, but the potato was the one garden based species that I would allow near me and approved of to make an appearance on my plate. Although a potato is generally referred to as a vegetable, it is actually very high in starch and not a very good vegetable at all. I guess I really didn’t like any veggies after all, since a potato can hardly be considered a vegetable!


Through the years, I have kept this traditional love (or outlandish craving as you might call it) close to my heart (and mouth). To this day, I continue to share the spud in all its glory with everyone in my life… and so throughout our future entries, you will find the potato in numerous dishes and stories that we share with you. Try 'em, you'll love 'em.


-Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment