Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Obsessed with Oysters

This is a new obsession. About a year ago, I can honestly say that I had only eaten three raw oysters in my life. In the last month alone, I have probably eaten over two dozen. I’m not sure what brought on this need to feed on these critters on the half-shell. Maybe I just liked the idea of the decadence. Maybe my subconscious was trying to tell me I needed more aphrodisiacs in my life. Or maybe I just really wanted to force myself into liking oysters. In any case, I’m hooked.

 
Now, let me just say, I am no expert. I am learning, but by no means am I an oyster connoisseur. I do know that I like west coast oysters far better than east coast oysters. A knowledgeable server once told me that oysters from the coasts are like the people. East coast oysters are harsher and more hardened; they live in the rougher of the two oceans (The Atlantic) and are generally brinier (read: ocean-y and fishy). West coast oysters are more laid-back and mellow; they live in the calmer Pacific and are generally sweeter and gentler on the palate.

Where have I gone on this oyster binge you ask? Well, let’s see. There’s Santa Monica Seafood, where I’ve enjoyed their Kusshi, Kumomoto and Fanny Bay varieties. Then there is Ocean Avenue Seafood, with their oyster and wine flight happy hour special. I have also indulged at Delphine in the W Hollywood, the Tasting Kitchen in Venice and Blue Plate Oysterette in Santa Monica.

Although I have only uncovered the tip of the iceberg, the world is my oyster for this new fixation. You never know where I may discover my next pearl.

No comments:

Post a Comment